Socrates once said: “Humanity must rise above the earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond. For only then will we understand the world in which we live.”
A non-profit organization called Space for Humanity, founded in 2017, is attempting to live into that philosophy by sending 10,000 people to space in the next ten years. The organization is now accepting applications for a diverse group of non-astronaut individuals to be granted an all-expenses paid journey to experience the Overview Effect of viewing the earth from space.
Space For Humanity plans to partner with “all available vehicles” to offer global citizens a diversity of spaceflights. The organization’s long-term vision is “to send selected groups into Low Earth Orbit by 2022, the moon by 2027, and deep space by 2030.” Those who are selected agree to serve as advocates for the commercial space industry and have to be able and willing to share the value of receiving the rare gift of perspective that the Space for Humanity experience provides.
The organization believes that, by leveraging the power of space, it can improve humanity and the world by providing perspective on what it means to be a human being living in the cosmos on Earth.
The six objectives of the Space for Humanity Citizen Astronaut Program are as follows:
- Space for Humanity is a non-profit organization whose mission is to send 10,000 citizen astronauts to space over the next 10 years.
- We are seeking diverse individuals from all around the world to become passionate representatives of humanity — Anyone, from any walk of life, can apply!
- If accepted to become a citizen astronaut, you will receive all-expenses paid global leadership training, physical and psychological astronaut training, and a trip to space with Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic, World View, or other commercial spaceflight carrier.
- During the flight, it is our hope that you will experience the Overview Effect: the documented cognitive shift in awareness that occurs when an Earth-bound human gazes down upon our planet from space, seeing as if for the first time, the oneness and beauty of Earth as our true home.
- Astronauts who have experienced the Overview Effect report that this perspective of awe and wonder is fundamentally life-changing, unlike any other. Once you are given the opportunity to experience this new perspective, your mission is to share it with others.
- Upon return, you will fulfill a Social Impact Ambassadorship with Space for Humanity for one year following your spaceflight, telling the world about your experience, why space matters, and (most importantly!) implementing a global social-impact project of your design. Space for Humanity will help equip you with the tools and resources to carry out your unique ambassadorship.
You can learn more about the program and apply at: www.spaceforhumanity.org and by watching Space for Humanity's teaser video below.
Reality Changing Observations:
Q1: What do you think is the value of humanity journeying into space?
Q2: What excites you or terrifies you about the prospect of journeying into space?
Q3: What do you think about this new proposition by Space for Humanity?